Spotlight On Baby Brain Development

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

There are several known ways to boost your baby's brain development while still in utero. Experts agree that its important to take pre-natal vitamins & Omega-3s (DHA), maintain a healthy diet of fruits & vegetables, especially foods that contain iron & protein, avoid pollution & toxic chemical exposure, and exercise at least a few times a week. The most important factor in boosting fetal brain development is delivering at full term, between 39 and 41 weeks. 

I have also heard (though I haven't been able to find much legitimate or conclusive scientific evidence backing this) that playing music and reading to your baby in utero can boost brain development, too. Whether or not the studies are conclusive, it can't hurt, right? That proactive line of thinking is a big part of the reason I wanted to take our little man to Boston Symphony Hall last week. I have read that baby can connect with mom's voice, which is golden in and of itself, but I'm not sure how much impact it actually has on brain development.  

I wanted to reach out to all my mom & mom-to-be friends to ask, what are you doing to boost your baby's brain development? Do you have any web or book suggestions for fostering brain development either in utero or through baby's first two years of life? 

I've found a few books on early childhood development: Bright From the Start, Brain Rules for Baby, and The Whole Brain Child. Have you read any of these books and would you recommend them? I would really appreciate your feedback on this one!! :)



xo kristen genevieve

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of any of these books, but I just started playing classical music to the baby (I'm 17 weeks) by placing headphones on my belly while I'm at work! Might be silly, but I guess it can't hurt, right?
    I also want to start reading to the baby in german (my native language), since we're planning to raise him bi-lingual.
    If you get any more good ideas, please share! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome that you want to raise your baby speaking English & German! Let me know if you find/have any suggestions for teaching both languages. :)

      Delete

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Hover Pin It Code